A two-hour walk in the atmosphere of the past
- Walk the streets trod by Billy The Kid, John Ringo, Curley Bill, Russian Bill, The Clantons, Jim Hughes and Sandy King.
- Walk a portion of the Butterfield Trail.
- See 28 points of interest and hear stories of the West as it really was.
- The guided tour includes the interiors of seven buildings.
THE COMPANY MINING HOUSE:
The building, built between 1914 and 1923, originally was at the Santa Rita Copper Mine in danger of being swallowed up by the growing open pit. It was moved to this site in the mid 1970's. The building was used in Janaloo's Dance Studio.
THE GRANT HOUSE:
The back portion was the old Butterfield Stage Station. The front dining room, which was added later, sometimes served as the hanging room.
The only one left of some 15 or 16 here in 1870-73. Here Charlie Williams, the meanest man in town, nearly died of a gunshot wound.
Where Governor George P. Hunt waited tables as a boy and where Robert Ingersoll, Governor Ross and Lew Wallace (BEN HUR) stayed and where a man was killed in a gunfight over an egg. According to old-timers, Billy The Kid washed dishes here briefly after getting in trouble in Silver City, NM.
OLD MAIL STATION:
Dating from about 1856, This building was used by the Army. It was on the road between Fort Thorn and Fort Buchannan and served sometimes as a commissary or supply storage point. GENERAL MERCHANDISE:
This also served as a Post Office, Telegraph Office and arsenal for the Militia. It now serves as a residence but includes a museum. Unfortunately this was lost in 1997 due to a fire.
THE POWDER MAGAZINE:
Where black powder was stored for the Shakespeare Gold and Silver Mining and Milling Company and for the Smyth, Long and Price General Merchandise.
NATIONAL MAIL AND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY & BLACKSMITH SHOP:
The N.M. & T. was the last cross-country stage line to run through this area and was replaced by the railroad in 1881, but the blacksmith shop continued to be used all during the 1880's.
Where ore samples were tested. Built in 1870, rebuilt in 1879 and operated by Shakespeare Gold and Silver Mining and Milling Company.
Many of Shakespeare's more "colorful" residents, prospectors, and regular citizens of Shakespeare have their final resting place at Shakespeare Cemetery. You'll see the cemetery on the left side of the road on your way to Shakespeare.
Visit us on Facebook for up to date Tour Information.
SHAKESPEARE - THE EARLY DAYS
SHAKESPEARE - TODAY